Fraud prevention tips
Useful tips for card protection!
Transactions’ safety is AstroBank Public Company Limited priority. Find out how to protect your card and PIN. Perform your abroad, domestic and online transactions with safety. Recognize and avoid e-mail / SMS Scams (phishing).
ATM fraud prevention:
• Be aware of others around you before using an ATM machine.
• Be sure that nothing seems unusual near the ATM machine
• If you find any suspicious object, alterations or markings in the card slot, as the warped frame, abrasions, additional accessories, holes etc., avoid using the ATM machine. Please notify the Bank immediately (800 11 800 or +357 22575555 from abroad).
• If your card is unexpectedly retained by an ATM or you are facing any problem during the transaction, contact AstroBank Public Company Limited (800 11 800 or +357 22575555 from abroad).
• Do not accept any advice/help from 'helpful' strangers that happen to be standing near the ATM (especially if your card has been unexpectedly retained).
• If the machine exhibits any damage, contact AstroBank Public Company Limited (800 11 800 or +357 22575555 from abroad).
• Always use your hand as a shield while entering your PIN to keep it secret.
• When the transaction is completed and before leaving the ATM, you must ensure that the amount of cash disbursed is correct.
• Ensure that you are not alone while using an ATM at night, especially atin non crowded places.
• When using an ATM booth, do not allow unfamiliar people entering the lobby during the transaction.
• Do not leave your keys or valuable objects in your car while using the ATM and do not leave your car engine into operation.
• Ensure that you collectreceive your card after the transaction.
• Never leave the transaction receipt at the ATM machine.
Protecting your card and PIN:
• Avoid using as password (PIN) a date of birth, phone number or other personal information that can easily be traced.
• Avoid writing down the PIN, for example in the note list of your mobile phone.
• Avoid using the same PIN in more than one card.
• Choose and memorize a PIN code that only you will know and that cannot be traced by your personal objects in your wallet or bag.
• Never disclose your PIN to anyone, not even to a Police officer or a bank employee (AstroBank Public Company Limited staff would never ask for your PIN).
• Check your transactions’ receipts against your monthly statement. If there are transactions that you do not recognize, you should contact AstroBank Public Company Limited immediately.
• Do not give or lend your card to anyone.
• Carry only the cards you intend to use.
• Report immediately card theft or loss to AstroBank Public Company Limited.
• Never keep your PIN with your card.
• Always destroy documents (receipt, correspondence, etc.) that contain any of your personal information (name, address etc.).
• Check your card expiry date. If your replacement card hasn't arrived, please contact AstroBank Public Company Limited (800 11 800 or +357 22575555 from abroad).
• Ensure we have your update contact details before travelling abroad. Particularly your mobile phone number and email address.
• Take a note of our emergency phone number (+357 22575555) for lost/stolen cards.
• Carry only the cards you intend to use.
Online security tips:
• Change your passwords regularly and use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters such as # and @. Do not use your Winbank password for other online accounts or activities.
• It is your responsibility to safeguard your personal security codes. In case of a disclosure, please call us immediately (+800 11 800 or +357 22575555 from abroad).
• Do not share your personal information / data.
• Do not provide you card details over the phone, as this poses a risk of the disclosure of your personal information to third parties.
• Navigate and use your card’s data at certified sites / dealers. Only iIf you are not sure about their safety assurance avoid using them.
• Before each use of AstroBank Public Company Limited electronic services, make sure you navigate in the safe environment of AstroBank Pubic Company Limited. You can identify the official page of AstroBank Public Company Limited and Winbank from the security lock at the beginning of the search bar.
• Social media is increasingly popular, but it's a good idea to keep certain personal information private. Avoid sharing personal details that are used by financial institutions to identify you, such as your birth date, home address, mother’s maiden name, schools attended and pet’s name. Fraudsters may use this type of information to help gain access to an account since they are common answers to security questions.
• Use AstroBank Public Company Limited electronic services only through the official website (https://www.piraeusbank.com/sites/cyprus/en/Pages/default.aspx) and not via links given by other sites.
• Always carefully review the privacy options for any social network you join. The privacy options and tools for social networks can be complex and should be reviewed carefully so that there is no disclosure of information meant to remain private.
• AstroBank Public Company Limited will never ask you, in any way (neither by telephone call nor sms/mms nor e-mail) account details, card details or passwords. It is personal information and must not be disclosed to anyone.
• After completing your transaction, disconnect from the online services of AstroBank Public Company Limited (https://www.piraeusbank.com/sites/cyprus/en/Pages/default.aspx) by selecting "Exit".
Fraud via mail/sms:
•Phishing is usually a two-part scam involving emails and spoof websites. Fraudsters, also known as phishers, send an email to a wide audience that appears to come from a reputable company. This is known as a phish email.
•In the phish email, there are links to spoof websites that imitate a reputable company’s website. Fraudsters hope to convince victims to share their personal information by using clever language, such as an urgent need for you to update your information immediately or a need to communicate with you for your own safety or security. Once obtained, your personal information can be used for fraudulent transactions.
Text-message phishing (smishing)
•A phishing attempt sent via SMS (Short Message Service) or text message to a mobile phone or device. This tactic is also referred to as smishing, which is a combination of SMS and phishing. The purpose of text message phishing is the same as traditional email phishing: convince recipients to share their confidential information.
•Do not respond to any of the above categories that ask for account details of accounts, cards or passwords and do not follow links that are contained and prompt you to sign in to Winbank.
•Forward such “suspicious» e-mail or text messages to the Bank at your branch or call 800 11 800 or +357 22575555 from abroad. Then delete it from your email or mobile.
Mobile Security Tips:
When you use a mobile device to access your accounts, keep these tips in mind:
•Use the security functions that come with your device, such as the keypad lock or phone lock function when it is not in use, or the “find my phone” or “wipe out memory” functions if it is lost.
•Frequently delete text messages from your financial institution, especially before loaning out or selling your mobile device.
•Keep your account numbers, passwords, Tax ID and date of birth private. Never share your personal or financial information in a text message, phone call or email.
•If you lose your mobile device or change your mobile phone number, go to the nearest branch of AstroBank Public Company Limited to delete it from your personal information.
•Avoid storing your banking password or other sensitive information on your smartphone or in an app where it could be discovered if your phone is stolen.
•When you finish banking on your mobile device or using the Winbank Mobile app always log off and not just close the browser or app. For your security, AstroBank Public Company Limited mobile apps and mobile banking site will automatically log you off after 10 minutes of inactivity.
•To ensure the highest level of protection, keep your mobile operating system up to date by following the manufacturer's instructions.
•Be cautious when using public hotspots. Carefully consider your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection settings, even at a trusted retailer, as fraudsters can spoof the name of reputable hotspots.
•Download Winbank Mobile app from reputable sources only to ensure the safety of your account information.
•Treat QR codes (dimensional Barcodes that can be decoded easily with high speed and can be fast electronically read. The abbreviation QR comes from the English words Quick Response with the same suspicion as you would do with any URL or link you find in an email. QR codes can be used by fraudsters to redirect you to websites that may request your personal and financial information or could corrupt your mobile device.
•Be careful when you scan QR codes, as some may have been tampered with if placed in a public place. Use a QR code scanner from a reputable source that will check links for malicious content. This capability can be found in the app description before downloading.
Computer Security Tips:
•Before downloading an update to your computer program, first visit the company’s website to confirm that the update is legitimate. Protect your computer with security software (firewalls, antivirus, and antispyware).Be wary of conducting online banking activities on computers that are shared by others. Public computers should be used with caution. Online banking activities and viewing or downloading documents (statements, etc.) should be conducted, when possible, on a computer that you know that is safe and secure.
•Configure your devices to prevent unauthorized users from remotely accessing them. For example, if you use a home wireless router for your home internet connection, follow the manufacturer’s strict recommendations to configure the router with appropriate security settings.